From 1860’s through the 1880’s Griffith residents traveled to St Michaels Church in Schererville for Sunday services. There was a huge desire to have a church in Griffith and it was up to the Methodists to lead the way to Griffith’s first house of worship
In 1893, worship services were led by circuit-riding ministers or supply ministers from Northwest Indiana Conference who normally would arrive in town once every six months
In 1904, when Griffith was formally established, the small Methodist congregation was meeting in homes and over Russell’s store and then in the Town Hall after 1911
In 1915 the first church was realized at the corner of Lafayette and Columbia– the Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1919 the building was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. In the early 20’s the church was rebuilt in a different location – Columbia and Junction Avenue (later named Broad Street)
In 1959 ground was broken for a new church building at 400 44th Place in Griffith and the congregation moved in on February 19, 1961. The church building on Broad Street was sold to the Griffith Masonic Lodge.
In 2020 we moved from our Griffith location to 2201 Azalea Drive in Highland Indiana